The months of Sha’ban and Ramadan are most synonymous with the dates.
Take a look at most of the supermarkets during these months, varieties of dates will be on sale as early as Sha’ban.
What are actually the contents and benefits of these black pearls, which have become one of Rasulullah (pbuh) daily food?
The followings are some of the benefits of the dates based on Hadith:
1. Consuming 7 ‘Ajwa dates protects from poison and black magic
Narrated from Sa‘d ibn Abi Waqqaas (raa) that the Prophet (pbuh) said: “Whoever eats seven ‘Ajwa dates in the morning, will not be harmed by any poison or witchcraft that day.” (Bukhari and Muslim)
‘Ajwa is one of the types of dates originated from Madinah, it is the best type from the rest. Its shape is nice, solid and a bit strong, but it is categorized among the tastiest and nicest smelling.
2. ‘Ajwa dates come from Paradise
The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: “The ‘Ajwa dates come from Paradise and contain a cure for poison. (Ibnu Majah)
3. Dates forbid people from hunger
As what Prophet (pbuh) said: “People in a house without dates are in a state of hunger.” (Transmitted by Muslim no 2046)
In another Hadith, it is said: “The home with no dates is like the home with no food. (Ibnu Majah no. 3328)
There are more Hadiths mentioning the benefits of dates.
How our Messenger (pbuh) consumed dates:
- To mix it with cheese, in a narration of Abu Dawud (3837) and Ibnu Majah (3343), Imam Ibnul Qayyim explains that the cheese is able to treat the nerves and any inflammation of pancreas and throat.
- To mix it with the cucumber based on hadith transmitted by Imam Muslim (2043)
and hadith transmitted by Imam Bukhari (5440), mentioned that the heat effects
from the dates will be balanced with the coldness of the cucumber, as cucumber is hard to digest, has cold characteristics, which can cause harm.
- The Messenger (pbuh) also consumed the dates with melons, as mentioned in a
hadith transmitted by Abu Dawud (ref. no 3836).
- The Prophet (pbuh) highly encouraged to break fast with wet dates (Ruthab), if none then with dry dates and if none, then with water sip by sip. (Abu Dawud, no 2356)
Health Benefits of consuming dates
In terms of health benefits, those who are fasting are in need of sugar elements that is present in the dates and is easily absorbed by the blood, stomach and intestines. Sugar elements (glucose and fructose) need 5 – 10 minutes to be absorbed in human intestine when it is empty. While that process takes place inside our body we can proceed to pray the Maghrib prayer. The dates are the best food for breaking the fast.